ATLANTA, GA—Early this morning, local American Red Cross volunteers from the Atlanta area responded to an apartment fire on Windmont Drive NE in Brookhaven, GA.
Red Cross volunteers part of the Disaster Action Team were on the scene to help coordinate emergency aid to those affected. They assisted more than a dozen families for a total of 73 people. At this time, a reception center has opened for residents who have been displaced. They will receive meals, and comfort, while officials determine if those in unaffected units may return home.
HOW TO KEEP YOUR FAMILY SAFE Help protect your family against home fires by taking two simple steps: Practice your two-minute escape drill and test your smoke alarms monthly. Visit SoundTheAlarm.org for more information and to pledge to prepare your family against home fires.
- Create an escape plan with at least two ways to exit every room in your home. Select a meeting spot at a safe distance away from your home, such as your neighbor’s home or a landmark like a specific tree in your front yard, where everyone knows to meet.
- Practice your escape plan until everyone in your household can get out in less than two minutes.
- Place smoke alarms on each level of your home, including inside and outside bedrooms and sleeping areas. Change the batteries at least once a year if your model requires it.
HOW TO HELP: The American Red Cross responds to more than 60,000 disasters per year, the majority of which are home fires. Your financial donation to the Red Cross helps provide shelter, meals, relief supplies, emotional support, recovery planning and other assistance during disasters. Visit redcross.org/georgia to help those in need.